Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Favourite Mashup - "Stand By Acid" (1991)

I know mashups are supposed to be a fairly recent concept, but this one comes all the way back from 1991. I first heard it on a mix tape I received as a newbie raver and had no idea that it was basically the overlaying of a classic soul track over the seminal acid house track. For a long time, thanks to the label art, I thought it was by Mr Lee - but Discogs revealed the true author of this masterful mix is Darren "Rocky" Rock, who may be better known as part of The Problem Kids, Xpress 2, and countless other dance acts.

Essentially, it's Phuture's "Acid Tracks" overlaid with Ben E. King's "Stand By Me"; not much else to it apart from a siren sound intro, but - as Warhol and Duchamp have proved - genius is in the idea, not the effort (although I suspect Rocky probably knocked it up as a live mix on two decks so it probably took a few takes to get right).

I picked up my copy at a second hand record fair years ago for $10 - bargain.
The b-sides are also quality acid house (Laurent X's "Machines" and Alexander Robotnick's "Problèmes D'Amour") but they're still available so go get them elsewhere.

Another top mashup of the period is by Rhythm Doctor; it's another outing for Phuture but this time with "We Are Phuture" combined with The Art Of Noise's "Moments In Love". I don't own a copy but I know folks who do so I'll post it if they let me...

Stand By Acid

Vinyl Rip _ 320kbps MP3 ...mediafire

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Me Again. I AM NOT A STALKER!!! I have a mash up made here in Cleethorpes of Prodigy - Android vs Lonnie Gordon - Gonna Catch You. Cos of the Northern Soul scene it was easy to get 50 12inch white labels printed. One got a spin at the Hacienda and within a few days XL records with legal team came to Cleethorpes to confiscate them. An old buddy let me go thru his vinyl and buy a few, I bought this 12 simply cos my mate had done a great circa 1990 rave graffiti in stoned biro on it. Played it, loved it. DJ'd with it and got a real good response. One day the younger brother of one the guys who mixed it heard it and had a fit. They'd always believed that all copys were lost. I recently ripped it and may have to share it one day soon!!! I've enquired with well known Dutch mash-up DJs if they think its the earliest they've heard of!! I've no idea. I promise I'll piss off and write me own blog at some point.

    ReplyDelete